• January 3This is a test breaking news headline.

The student news site of Arnold O. Beckman High School

The Beckman Chronicle

Filed under Editorials

Atlantis: Myth or History?

The inhabitants of the Atlantis City are believed to have been possessors of exceptional powers, such as ability to control weather.

Creative Commons

Creative Commons

Nearly 11,000 years ago, there was a city that may have existed that was bigger than today’s Libya and Asia combined. It is also believed that Atlantis had original inhabitants that were much taller and fair skinned than the average human being and who also had a lifespan of more than 800 years. The biggest question that surrounds the legend of Atlantis is, “Where is it?” It is said to be underneath the Atlantic Ocean, according to Plato’s dialogues. The question if it even exists remains unanswered, but there have been many discoveries, leading to some answers.

Scientists claim that Atlantis was real, but it was wiped out by a huge tsunami. It is said that Atlantis would have been located on or around the Greek island. “Evidence of massive waves at least nine meters high has been found at several sites on the nearby Greek island of Crete,” writes Paul Harper, a researcher from The Sun. According to Plato’s account, which was written around 360 BC, Atlantis was a major city located in the Atlantic. Then, there was evidence found of massive waves at least 30 feet high in the area. Plato talked about a huge explosion that happened, leading up to the disappearance of Atlantis City, which may have been what caused the tsunamis.

When Plato released his story about the lost city of Atlantis, it was very controversial and not many were sure to believe him. The stories about Atlantis were carried on throughout the years: “Plato’s Critias says he heard the story of Atlantis from his grandfather, who had heard it from the Athenian statesman Solon, who had learned it from an Egyptian priest, who said it had happened 9,000 years before that,” the History Channel mentions. In 1627, an English philosopher and scientist Francis Bacon published a utopian novel named The New Atlantis, talking about, like Pluto, a politically and scientifically advanced society on a previously unknown oceanic island. Archaeologists have been locating evidence from time to time. There have been places like a swampy prehistoric city in coastal Spain, and a suspicious undersea rock formation in the Bahamas that all might be a source of the Atlantis story.  

A lot of people argue that the Atlantis story is just a myth, since there is not any actual proof of it ever existing. Many believe Plato created that story to illustrate his theories about politics, while others are insisting it is based on a real historical disaster. “Scientists also say he wrote it [the Atlantis story] also to warn people about turning their backs on the gods. The scientists use the reference of Plato’s account of Atlantis when he talks about how the Greek God Poseidon was given the islands of Atlantis,” added an author from Archaeology. However, the idea of a city in the area is very plausible, and many people still follow the idea. With much more evidence backing the idea that it does exist, there is no doubt that Atlantis can be real.

There are many theories about Atlantis and its existence, but there is no way to know for sure, except for searching the ocean. A third of the ocean has not been explored yet, so who knows: Atlantis could be real and there could be many other lost cities that have been undiscovered. Atlantis was said to have sunk due to the Ice Age, which was 11,500 years ago. Scientists and archaeologists are still searching for the lost city of Atlantis, and they may be able to find it when technology advances.