• January 3This is a test breaking news headline.

The student news site of Arnold O. Beckman High School

The Beckman Chronicle

Filed under Editorials

Going to the Pool or the Beach?

The pool is much better of a vacation spot than the beach.

Creative Commons

Creative Commons

Many people are getting ready for the summer, and when it finally arrives, one question that might come to mind is if going to the beach is better than going to the pool. The pool gives one the freedom to enjoy a peaceful day without anything too chaotic going around one’s surroundings. However, the beach allows one to fully intake the sun and enjoy a nice campfire around the waves. Which one is better?

To begin with, the pool is nice and clean. According to “The Beach vs. Pool Debate: Where’s the best place to be?” by Vicky Anscombe, “The cleanliness. We’re not saying the sea is unhygienic – clearly, it’s not – but pools are chlorinated and salt-free, which can be much better for people with sensitive skin and younger swimmers.” Having such sensitive skin can affect one in a bad way. Also, the beach has sand everywhere, so it would be more difficult for one to wash off their body and any clothes or towels used. The pool is a perfect way to avoid this messy situation.

Not only is the pool clean, but kids have more freedom to play games in the water. Kylie Gardner states in her article, “Kids love playing games at swimming pools. There are classic games like diving for treasures, sharks and minnows and Marco Polo, plus many more games that kids make up themselves.” Going to the pool gives one the freedom to enjoy playing games in the water while still being safe. Many complications can occur if one tries to play Marco Polo in the beach. One can go to deep into the sea and end up getting lost at some point. The fact that the ocean is more limitless in depth and length can cause many safety concerns, and those wanting to keep a better eye on their children would definitely find more comfort in going to a pool rather than the ocean.

Now, while the beach allows one more space than the pool, the pool offers peace and quiet. According to “The Beach vs. The Pool” by Mary Helen Tibbs, she states, “There are no crowds at your pool. No frat dudes lobbing Frisbees and footballs just a bit too close to your head, no seagulls dive bombing for snacks or mistaking your head for a toilet, and no one else’s Celine Dion blasting through a boombox. At your pool, you’re in charge. And you can go any time you want.” Not only does one get peace and quiet, but one is allowed to go any time they want to. There is no need to waste gas on money or waste the energy to travel all the way to the closest beach when the pool is close by. Since pools are much smaller, people can have more control over the atmosphere of the place, and there is a much smaller chance of ending up going to a pool as busy as the beach.

The beach can be a nice view, but the pool will always be a much better way to enjoy one’s summertime. It provides so much more individualized benefits than the beach. Being at the pool allows one to fool around in the water, or maybe just enjoy some piece of quiet, but overall, one should enjoy summer.