• January 3This is a test breaking news headline.

The student news site of Arnold O. Beckman High School

The Beckman Chronicle

Filed under Editorials

The Detriments of Makeup

Being makeup free allows one to have a healthier-looking face.

Creative Commons

Creative Commons

Makeup is used in a way to boost physical attraction, but do people know the actual risk they take in wearing makeup? Makeup is a tool for everyone’s advantages, but every tool comes with its negatives. Women should drift their attention from wearing makeup to improving their beauty behind the mask of makeup.

Makeup allows people to feel more beautiful and create a new version of themselves, but this, in a way, is shaming all the flaws that are a part of their personality. According to the article “6 Bold Reason Why to Stop Wearing Makeup”, Elena Prokopets states, “No one actually pays attention to your tiny imperfections except you! You should stop treating them like ‘flaws’ and think of them as your ‘specialty.’” Everyone has flaws; it is a part of life, and no one will always be perfect. Makeup is a solution to hiding those flaws, but a better solution to that is to show the beauty behind one’s flaws.

Another reason to avoid wearing makeup is because it is quite a job to make sure everything applied stays the same, from the moment one applies it to the moment one arrives home. Jessica Booth, writer of “15 Honest Reasons To Not Wear Makeup” states, “I don’t like worrying about it all the time. If I could apply it in the morning and have it stay put all day I’d probably wear it more often, but it requires constant vigilance to keep it looking fresh and not busted. Mascara flakes off, eyeliner smudges, lipstick and liner disappears, all seemingly within minutes.” Not everyone has the time, money or energy to keep up with this. Makeup should not be a pain to deal with, but something comfortable to wear. Makeup can be considered like clothes; imagine one at a sleepover. Would one rather wear a dress, or something more comfortable like sweats?

Imagine one day a person has a random allergic reaction to something they did, ate or even wore. Wearing makeup has products in it that can affect one’s face and maybe it does not affect one in the very beginning, but it will at some point. According to the article, “Ten Reasons Not to Wear Makeup Everyday” by Annette Bette Kellow, “What many people find surprising in life is that they suddenly get an allergic reaction to something, whether that is bread, cream or a beauty product. The reason is because your body has taken the said harmful product for so long and the immune system automatically fought off the nasties, that it decides to pack up and have a holiday: literally!” Makeup can cause negative reactions on a person’s skin, but by not wearing any makeup, one can have a healthier, clean face. 

Makeup can be identified as art to some, but why waste so much money on something that affects more than just the physical appearance, but the way one thinks as well? Everyone has beauty with or without makeup; makeup should be used for pleasure, not to cover up so-called imperfections.