• January 3This is a test breaking news headline.

The student news site of Arnold O. Beckman High School

The Beckman Chronicle

Filed under News

Celebrating the 9th Annual Film Festival

On Saturday, April 29, Beckman High School hosted the 9th annual SoCal Student Film Festival.

Karolyne Diep

Karolyne Diep

IRVINE – On Saturday, April 29, Beckman High School’s Film and Arts group held the 9th annual SoCal Film Festival in the Performing Arts Center (PAC); this event lasted from 3:00 p.m to 10:00 p.m. Films from different categories such as Narrative, Documentary, Commercial, Music Video, and much more were shown in the film festival. Judges were there as well in order to select the best film from a specific category.

“My favorite part about the film festival was definitely the class workshops. It really made me understand how a camera works and how to handle one. With that knowledge provided by the speaker from the New York Film Academy, I can now make better films in the future. Not to mention, the fact that it was interactive with the audience made it pretty interesting as well,” revealed guest Joshua Kim.

The festival began with a keynote from a well-known director and screenwriter, Brent Baum, who spoke about the Hollywood business. He mentioned different testimonies that were related to film and acting, as well as specific tips for the audience. Afterwards, class workshops were provided during which professional actors, directors, or film academy people talked about the art of acting and filming.

“The purpose of the film festivals overall is to display films of all categories that were submitted by people all around the world. What’s cool about this is that Beckman is the place where it’s all held. Because some people may not have a great deal of information when it comes to film and acting, we also provided class workshops where kids could learn about a specific topics, whether it was about how to work a camera or how to properly act while still sounding realistic,” stated founder of the film festival Christopher Perdue. “The film festival in general is just a great place where everyone of all ages can enjoy spending time friends while still learning.”

A red carpet was laid out in front of the Performing Arts Center so that people could take videos and pictures while showing off the fact that they attended the film festival. A food truck known as “The Burnt Truck” serve hamburgers and other fast food in between the film festival. All the films were shown at around 6:00 p.m. and lasted until 10:00 p.m., as scheduled. There were several intermissions in between the films in order for the judges to make up their mind on the winning films.

“I think the best thing about these festivals is that it makes learning fun. Not only do you learn how to do things professionally, but you also get to hang out with friends and that’s really cool. I definitely don’t regret coming to this year’s festival, as it really taught me many things about the Hollywood business,” expressed guest Saeko Wakita.

Beckman thanked all its participants in the film festival, as well as their sponsors. The Academy Media of Arts staff considered this year’s film festival a success and will continue to prepare for the upcoming festival next year.