Senioritis, A Virulent Disease

Mr. Bowman and his class reenact the effects of Senioritis.

Cindy Lim

Cindy Lim

Cindy Lim, Staff Writer

Senioritis, a condition that deprives high school seniors of their motivation to continue their career ambitions, has been spreading across the nation. With less than a year to finally escape the prison called high school, seniors begin to let go of their responsibilities and only strive to make the most fun out of their final year. Upon catching Senioritis, students no longer find joy in the day-to-day schedule of attending classes as they realize that half of the classes that they are taking will not matter in the long term. However, before all the affected seniors’ accumulated accomplishments crumble at the foundation, it is essential to examine the potential consequences of Senioritis and consider drawbacks to this horrid disease.

The majority of the 12th graders are the victims of Senioritis as they believe that their senior year does not matter as much as their previous years. According to the survey conducted by The Omniscient, 78% of the seniors in the nation admitted to having Senioritis — a rather massive majority. However, students should understand that senior year is one of the most important years and acknowledge that Senioritis is not acceptable for a multitude of reasons.

All colleges do look at senior year grades and the courses students take, and the admission officers have the highest expectations from students. Today, colleges are becoming more selective, especially due to the growing competition among students. The more competitive the school, the more likely that it will expect higher excellence in all subject areas. If this requirement is not met or is insufficient, there is a lower chance of admission. There are many cases where colleges have rescinded the decisions of admitted students because of their poor performance in their senior year. According to the National Association for College Admission Counseling, approximately 22% of colleges have revoked an admission offer in recent years. If one falters under a high school senior year workload, the possibility of rejection becomes a reality.

Some may argue that Senioritis is understandable because seniors spend months preparing for the college application process while balancing school work. Hitting “submit” on that last college application can feel like collapsing across a finish line. What many students fail to realize, however, is that completing applications is not the end of the journey — it is just the beginning. For example, a huge grade dip can affect students’ financial aid opportunities. While some students’ acceptances may be safe after a grade dip, some financial aid packages may not be immune. This is because many merit scholarships are based on grade point averages (GPAs). Thus, if a student’s GPA suffers during the last semester, he or she may not even be eligible for the scholarship.

After examining all the consequences and explanations above, it is essential that one does not simply neglect the responsibilities and duties as a high school senior. In order to steer away from Senioritis and to end the senior year on a good note, seniors must not lose motivation and keep working hard.