The Growing Population Crisis

Small+steps+can+be+taken+to+regulate+population+growth+as+it+can+cause+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Growing Population Crisis

Small steps can be taken to regulate population growth as it can cause

Creative Commons

Creative Commons

Creative Commons

Daniel Kang, Staff Writer

The human population is exponentially growing, and there seem to be no signs of it stopping anytime soon. Every year, the human population increases dramatically, and this affects the planet majorly. Agricultural shortages and hygienic water scarcity are all initiated by overpopulation. Whether the country’s population is over or under optimum, controlling the number of people is necessary. The first step was set forth by China when it introduced the “one-child policy.” Each family was only able to have one child, and the family was charged with a fine if more children were produced. Due to the constant protests, however, the policy was modified into a “two-child policy”, and this contributed to the reduction of citizens in China. Just like China, all countries should participate in population control in order to improve their country and the world as a whole.

According to Urban Reproductive Health Initiative, population control is appropriate for sustaining and enhancing the development of agriculture. For example, India, one of the largest countries in the world, includes 2.4 percent of the world’s land area as well as 17.5 percent of the world’s population. In fact, India has more arable land than the United States and Canada combined. However, 22 percent of India’s population, which is almost twice the amount of the United States, still suffers from poverty and food shortages. This is simply due to the high amount of citizens residing in the country, which limits agricultural development and the production of food. If the country’s population continues to grow at its current pace of 15 million citizens a year, it will demolish the agrarian society within India. This breakdown will tragically affect the citizens themselves, putting more in poverty and only allowing the wealthy, higher class people to survive. China, the United States and other large countries are also vulnerable to this issue. Population growth is responsible for many issues arising in countries around the world, but these issues can be simply solved with population control.

Some might believe that population control is detrimental to the government, as a growing population leads to faster economic development because of the additional money the higher population gives. However, according to CNN, that is false as governments actually benefit economically when population control is in action. All governments are required to support every individual that resides in the country with money, like medical care. If population control becomes a reality, fewer citizens would be in need of support. Not only that, according to The Economist, with population control, wealth inequality among citizens will be resolved. When countries start to control births, the citizens will be exposed to more job opportunities as well as higher salaries for the available jobs.

All countries should take part in population control due to the countless benefits that come with it. Of course, not all countries would be able to implement population control immediately, but governments should start to consider the necessity of keeping the human population at an optimum level. Currently, the world is corrupted due to the various agricultural defects, economic, and societal issues caused by overpopulation. The world’s current population of 7.6 billion people is already overwhelming, and if this continues to grow, the planet will not be able to withstand the effects. These effects include natural disasters, governmental problems, hygienic water and food shortages, and much more. Stopping all reproductive movements or preventing citizens from making a family is not the solution. However, simple steps to resolving this issue can start from encouraging citizens to have lower reproductive rates and educating the world about the consequences that come with overpopulation. If taken, these steps will lead to a brighter and more successful future.