Is it Time to Change?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Is it Time to Change?

Amanda Huffman, Staff Writer

Also known as Daylight savings, Time changes have been active since 1918. Due to its unpopularity, it was discontinued in some states. Later, on February 9, 1942, President Franklin Roosevelt re enforced it as an act to preserve fuel during World War II, yet it still wasn’t completely mandatory. Finally, on January 4, 1974, President Nixon “signed into law the Emergency Daylight Saving Time Energy Conservation Act of 1973” (WebExhibits.org in “Daylight Saving Time”). Recently, California asked for votes to help them decide whether or not they would discontinue it. “States like Arizona, Puerto Rico, and Hawaii all had abandoned the law” writes Jamie Ducharme in “The Reason Some States Don’t Observe Daylight Saving Time”  (TIME). Prop. 7 from the Legislation of California found that most CA citizens wanted to remove it. Awaiting Congress’s vote, it is still unsure if Daylight Savings will be stopped.

So what do Beckman Students think? When this question was put to the test, it was found that either most people hadn’t really developed an opinion on it, or they struggle with the fact that it removes sleep. “It never really interfered with my schedule or sleep, It doesn’t really bother me” says Freshman Gary Rivas. Many feel the same way, yet some also feel that Daylight savings means less sleep, and more work. A test by the Michigan State University found that “workers sustain more workplace injuries and injuries of greater severity” (Click to see full Report). Due to Time changes, the shift in sleep schedules has made people unhealthier, experiencing more heart attacks and fatigue. “With less sleep, I feel more emotional, making it harder to stay focused.” says Faith Lee, a Sophomore at Beckman. “I just wish it wouldn’t take away an hour of what I need most.”

Although most students were not allowed to vote for Prop. 7, They describe their opinion. “I would have voted yes (to discontinue it), unless I found out that it was important for others” says Faith. Daylight savings had constantly interfered with her sleep time, and she would like to see it go. “I remember hearing that it was made for farmers, but it’s no longer useful” she explains. Gary Rivas disagrees: “I would have voted no, I think it’s just helpful.” For years, it has been a way to manage times and save fuel. And for some, it still may be important for work. Freshman Daphne Stark agrees with both sides. “I like it when we get an extra hour of sleep, but not when it takes away one” she says. She explains that “I wouldn’t have voted at all. It is both equally good and bad, I couldn’t choose between having it and not having it.” For most, the opinion on keeping it or not was solely based on sleep.

Since 1974, it’s been part of our state. According to polls and opinions, the thoughts on it are split. Yet for now, it’s up to the government to decide if it’s time to change.