Underground: Fast-Paced, Suspenseful, and Worth the Watch

The+struggles+involving+the+Undeground+Railroad+are+thoroughly+explored+in+the+new+historical+drama%2C+Underground.+
The struggles involving the Undeground Railroad are thoroughly explored in the new historical drama, Underground.

Creative Commons

Creative Commons

All they want is freedom and they will do anything to achieve it. Released on April 27, the latest episode of the beloved series, Underground, was directed by Anthony Hemingway and instantly proves to be a highly-engaging and emotional portrait of the horrors of slavery and the courage it took to fight back against such darkness and cruelty. Following a determined blacksmith named Noah (Aldis Hodge) and his dreams to live a life as a free man, the show revolves around a band of plantation slaves and their courageous attempt to escape from their masters to live a free life. Told with extreme intensity, drama and painful imagery, Underground brings the brutality of slavery to the small screen, giving audiences a glimpse of one of the most evil aspects of American history.

The latest episode of Underground “Auld Acquaintance” starts off with Daniel (Bokeem Woodbine) receiving a painful punishment for learning and teaching other slaves how to read – giving an in-depth depiction of the struggle of being a slave and the controlling atmosphere of the plantations. After having seen the progress on the Donahue book, Patty Cannon’s (Sadie Stratton) anger grows as she questions how she could ever possibly catch Harriet Tubman (Aisha Hinds). Without Harriet Tubman’s knowledge of underground passageways, the plantation slaves would have no chance of escaping their imprisonment; she is their only hope at ever seeing a life outside of the corrupt and violent life of being a slave. However, the slaves find a clue as to where Harriet’s whereabouts could be, striking hope around the plantations and their ideas for escape; this only encourages them further to strive for the life they most want: one of choice and one of freedom. With the determination and the courage to set to escape their unfair treatment and the hope for a better life outside the plantations, the slaves unify to make a better life for themselves, but danger and chaos is certain to follow.

Full of suspense and drama, Underground is a TV show that is sure to please fans with an interest for historical dramas. With fans eagerly waiting for a new episode every week, the latest installment of Underground was very enjoyable to watch and satisfied audiences thoroughly, providing just enough drama and historical elements to make the viewing experience a positive one. One positive element in the episode would be the acting and the ability for the actors’ to make the audience feel their emotions on screen, leaving fans gripped to the series. On the other hand, there were many characters introduced throughout the episode, which could be hard for the audience to follow and the plot can prove to be a bit hard to understand. Underground is recommended for only the mature audiences, due to its realistic depictions of slavery and the intense material covered in each episode. For those able to handle the intensity and graphic nature of the series, Underground is a very entertaining and impactful series regarding slavery, giving a unique and interesting perspective to historical events.

(3 out of 5 stars)