What “Cult of Chucky” Means for the Child’s Play Franchise

Chucky goes in for the kill with an intimidating syringe.

Creative Commons

Creative Commons

Lauren Brown, Staff Writer

Following the sixth installment of the “Child’s Play” franchise, “Curse of Chucky,” “Cult of Chucky” centers around Nica Pierce, who was framed by Chucky for the murder of her family. But, with her experience in a medium security mental institution, she is forced to defend herself from the little nightmare himself. However, Chucky has a few new tricks up his sleeve that may change the Child’s Play franchise forever.

Stylistically, “Cult of Chucky” takes a risk by taking on a setting that the franchise has never seen before: a mental institution. However, this risk brings much more to the table by creating a newfound sense of unpredictability for long-time fans of the “Child’s Play” franchise. The pure white background of the walls and snowy exterior, as well as the attire of the patients and staff, create the perfect canvas for the inevitable red to come. Director Tom Mancini has made it blatantly clear that this was an intentional choice. Yet while the white may add the illusion of light, this movie is much darker in its cinematography than previous movies, the only exception being “Curse of Chucky.”

The “Child’s Play” franchise faced a myriad of backlash over the years for the inconsistent style of the horror series, many citing “Seed of Chucky” as one of the worst of the “Child’s Play” movies due its more comedic adaptation of the murderous doll, which takes away from the fear-instilling quality present in the first three movies. However, the more dark and macabre Chucky came out to play in “Curse of Chucky,” and it seems like this version of everyone’s “friend til the end” is here to stay. The fact that “Cult” seems to be taking on the style and darkness of its predecessor shows that the Mancini is ready and willing to bring Chucky back into the horror genre.

“Cult of Chucky” continues to add even more change to the series with three Good Guy dolls all accessorized with the soul of Charles Lee Ray, Chucky’s original human form, raising the stakes threefold. Chucky explains that, “a few years ago I came across this groovy new spell on VoodooForDummies.com,” and “theoretically, anyone or anything with two legs and a hand for stabbing” would create an ideal vessel for Chucky’s soul to inhabit. This new-found spell now grants Chucky with a brand new, and incredibly dangerous voodoo power. While Charles Lee Ray’s first goal may have been to inhabit a human body to leave his doll form, it seems that the “Lakeshore Strangler” has no problem embracing his plastic existence as well. Chucky then confesses that he was successful at transferring his soul into the body of Alice Pierce. Over the past six movies, this is the very first time Chucky has been successful in transferring his soul into a human body. The fact that he is able to do so raises the stakes for the franchise from here on out and the last scene of the newest “Child’s Play” movie has Andy trapped in the psychiatric ward and a Chucky possessed Nica escaping the mental facility and taking on the outside world. After nearly 30 decades of Chucky movies, Charles Lee Ray is finally at large in a human body.

Longtime fans of the “Child’s Play” franchise will clue viewers in on the fact that there is usually a post-credits scene, and “Cult of Chucky” follows suit with this tradition. The post credit scene reveals a now grown up Kyle, Andy’s foster sister from “Child’s Play 2.” Kyle explains to the dismembered head of the original Chucky doll that Andy had sent her to continue torturing the head while he left to save Nica. This is significant because the franchise has not seen Kyle since her premiere in the second installment of the series, and “Cult of Chucky” alone has already brought back many familiar faces from old movies, such as Andy and the infamous bride of Chucky: Tiffany. It is still uncertain if Kyle will be appearing in future installments of the series, but one thing is for certain, she is ready to play.