The student news site of Arnold O. Beckman High School

The Beckman Chronicle

Filed under Features, Showcase

Anushka Deshpande Dances for India

Anushka Deshpande performs with enthusiasm during her dance routines and puts on an eye-catching performance for everyone to enjoy.

Photograph Courtesy of Anushka Deshpande

The idea of going to Classical Indian Dance class appalled Anushka Deshpande when she was first brought to the class in 2009. She was certainly reluctant to attend classes in the first place. However, over time, it soon came to her realization that there was much more to it than just continuing a longtime family tradition of being affiliated with the artistic aspects of the Indian culture. Now a sophomore, Deshpande serves as the choreographer for the Indian Student Association (ISA) and could not be any prouder to be representing her culture in such a spectacular form.

Upon entering high school, Deshpande joined the ISA as a regular member. The ISA was preparing for their Indian Association Showcase — the largest ISA show of the year — and the previous choreographer noticed that Deshpande was extremely dedicated to dancing and expressed exuberant talent. As a result, the choreographer asked her to choreograph future dances along with the Indian Association Showcase. Deshpande promptly took up the offer, as she wanted to do everything in her power to exhibit her fervent passion for dancing to others. Deshpande and her friend, sophomore Hina Patel, choreographed the dance for “Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani”, the 2017 Indian Association Showcase. The phrase roughly translates to “This youth is crazy.” The two were working on the choreography for several months and in the end, the dances performed that night were spectacular and beautiful reflections of the Indian culture. “I just want [the audience] to respect the Indian culture, not only the dancing, but the music [and] the costumes as well,” explains Deshpande. Her strong connection to her heritage and desire for others to see the beauty of Indian culture exemplifies her faithfulness as she continues to stay true to her roots and maintaining an ancient Indian tradition.

Deshpande partakes in Bollywood dancing outside of school hours and does so with a positive and lively attitude. During the classes and camps that she is enrolled in, Deshpande spends countless hours perfecting her technique and ensuring that the dances represent the Indian culture in the best light possible. “I am so proud of Anushka for having embraced Indian dancing and for carrying herself so gracefully on stage. I am proud of the fact that she has taken her dancing to another level by being selected to choreograph for the Indian Student Association at Beckman,” comments her mother, Sampada Deshpande.

One of Deshpande’s proudest moments was an Indian Convention, which took place at the Anaheim Convention Center in 2015. She was selected to perform at the opening ceremony, which had at least 5,000 spectators. Because this show was extremely popular and required a high-quality performance, Deshpande spent hours on end of rehearsal to perfect her performance. She asserts, “The late nights and early morning spent practicing and sweating had finally paid off and I am thankful that I was able to perform to my best ability.” All of the hard work put into the show resulted in a success for Deshpande and demonstrates her willingness to perform well in any situation given to her, even if it requires relentless hours of work.

In November of 2016, Deshpande and one of her closest friends, sophomore Hina Patel submitted a video for a competition ran by Bollyshake — a media outlet focused on the Bollywood dance style. The video submission lasted for half a minute and featured both girls dancing to “The Breakup Song,” which was released mid-October of 2016. Although they did not place first in the competition, Deshpande affirms that, “It was cool for us to show the world what we could do together, [even though] we did not win.” Her ability to remain optimistic shows that everything is a learning experience for her shows how Deshpande is constantly looking to better her craft.

When she is not dancing, Deshpande is also involved in the Beckman High School Robotics Team and is on the engineering elective pathway. Through this pathway, Deshpande has been exposed to other branches of engineering, which has led her to learn about future career options for her near future. She currently takes an interest in Biomedical Engineering and is looking to continue her studies in that area upon entering college. Her ambitious personality is always in search of a challenge and as a result, she will be taking the Advanced Placement Biology class in her junior year.

In the future, Deshpande is planning to attend either University of California, Davis, or California Polytechnic State University in San Luis Obispo and will major in either Engineering or Biomedical Engineering. She will also strive to continue dance and join an Indian Club in her future college. Deshpande will always be dancing her heart out and displaying to the world who she is in an art form that anyone will be amazed by.