Fighting Cancer with Pageants: Beckman’s Mr. Patriot

Beckman%27s+Pink+Ribbon+Club+hosted+its+annual+Mr.+Patriot+Pageant+on+Thursday%2C+March+23.+
Beckman's Pink Ribbon Club hosted its annual Mr. Patriot Pageant on Thursday, March 23.

Ruby Choi

Ruby Choi

IRVINE – On Thursday, March 23, Beckman High School’s Pink Ribbon Club hosted its annual Mr. Patriot Pageant in the Beckman Performing Arts Center (PAC). This year’s pageant took on an “The Oscar’s” theme, featuring a contestant line-up of Caleb Burns, Jacob Gillman, Kyle Seiler, Parker Tompkins, Adam Key, Akarsh Lal, Dean Nagle, Ali Parandi, Adi Ramachandran, Mason Reynoso, Daniel Hwang, and Jun Jeon.

The event began at 7:00 p.m. with a brief introduction about the Pink Ribbon Club from the hosts Yaz Hojreh and Peter Hajali. This was followed by a few breast cancer facts while the audience awaited the arrival of the contestants.

All Mr. Patriot candidates first appeared wearing Pink Ribbon Club shirts, eventually switching to their suits for the “Runway” portion of the pageant. During the Runway, each contestant took turns strutting down the stage to an upbeat soundtrack, showing off their charisma and humor.

“The Mr. Patriot Pageant was a pretty memorable [experience],” commented junior spectator Jiwon Park. “I really enjoyed the contestant talent show.”

Succeeding the Runway was the contestant Talent show, kicked off by Mason Reynoso and his stand-up comedy. Reynoso’s routine encompassed everything from impressions of Donald Trump to humorous parodies of Beckman’s staff members — a crowd pleaser that would help him secure the crown as Mr. Patriot.

“One thing I can definitely take away from the night would be losing all inhibition,” stated Reynoso. “I was able to go out there and completely make a fool of myself in the name of something greater — to raise money for the end of cancer.”

The talent show continued with lip syncs to “Dancing Queen” and “Breaking Free,”  downing three bowls of the infamous spicy Korean noodles while reciting the lyrics to Katy Perry’s song “Firework,”  ukulele performances, violin and piano duets, and many other humorous and creative displays of talent.

Between the talent show and awards ceremony, a ten minute intermission was given for audience members to cast their votes for the “People’s Choice” award. Voting was done by cash ballots and the contestant with the highest amount of cash won.

With the award nominees on-stage, the hosts took turns asking each contestant one question, ranging from the contestant’s guilty pleasure to the message they wanted to send to the “young boys of today”.

First up, Kyle Seiler won the “People’s Choice,” followed by Daniel Hwang as the pageant’s official “Runner Up.” The grand winner of the Mr. Patriot Pageant was Mason Reynoso, who was crowned onstage. Each winner, proudly flaunting the pink Mr. Patriot finalist sash, was given a bouquet of pink and white flowers.

“The Mr. Patriot [Pageant] allows the student body to support a great cause while being able to have fun and enjoy their fellow students. [It] brings a unique aspect to the Beckman community because we do this every year, but each year it’s different and specific to that group of people, making it more unpredictable and exciting,” explained Pink Ribbon Club Co-President Hannah Costley. “It allows us to spread awareness for breast cancer while being able to create a lasting high school memory for the senior boys, as well as the students who come to watch.”

The event closed at 8:50 p.m. with a heartfelt thank you from Pink Ribbon Club Co-Presidents Costley and Radha Patel and a subsequent paparazzi of parents migrating towards the stage.

While the event served as creative way for Beckman seniors to showcase both their ambition and talent, the ultimate purpose of the pageant was to raise money and awareness for a greater cause — a purpose Beckman achieved in the most fashionable way.