The student news site of Arnold O. Beckman High School

The Beckman Chronicle

Filed under News

Surviving AP Exam Week

One+of+the+many+tests+available+through+College+Board+is+the+AP+Psychology+test%2C+offered+May+1st.+
One of the many tests available through College Board is the AP Psychology test, offered May 1st.

Creative Commons

Creative Commons

IRVINE – Starting Monday, May 1, students across the United States and internationally began their Advanced Placement (AP) examinations. The exams would span over two weeks, with each day hosting two to three different AP subject tests.

Each day of AP exam week is split into two sessions: a morning session (8:00 a.m.) and an afternoon session (12:00 p.m.). For the morning session exams, students must arrive at school by 7:30 p.m. A complimentary breakfast is also provided for the morning session students.

“This year, I’m taking five AP tests. [The tests] stress me out, but they aren’t that bad,” stated sophomore Kevin Hwang. “I study using prep books and online resources like Youtube. I started studying this summer; I think it’s best to start yearly. “

Postered along the Beckman AP class hallways are words and puns of encouragement, each themed toward a particular AP class. “Good luck on APs!” populate both the exterior and interior of classrooms, across walls, and white boards.

Regardless of the exam subject, all students have a study plan in mind, whether it be studying cumulatively throughout the year, the month before the exam, or the morning of.

“I study by taking lots of multiple choice exams, reviewing the content. [I usually start studying] three weeks before the test, that’s my typical,” said senior Joshua Park. “Paying attention in class is the most important part for AP prep because if you don’t [pay attention in class], it will be so much harder to review.”

The weeks and months before AP exam week featured many prep books — Barron’s, Princeton Review, and CliffsNotes — and Shmoop cram sessions. Youtube channels that offer chapter by chapter review, such as JoczProductions, are particularly popular among AP history students.

In addition to individual study opportunities, many AP classes offer Saturday EXCEL AP study sessions, where students may take released College Board questions and practice Free Response Questions.  Some Beckman AP teachers also provide students with AP practice handouts and packets the weeks leading up to their respective AP exams.

“I think taking a lot of practice tests is really important. You get a feel for how College Board writes the problems,” explained junior Michelle Xu. “[It helps you] not stress out about it the day of the test.”

While AP exams may stand as a stressful experience to students, the college course credit pays off in the long-term. AP exam testing will continue throughout the second week of May: Monday, May 8 through Friday, May 12. Scores will be available starting July 5.