The student news site of Arnold O. Beckman High School

The Beckman Chronicle

Filed under News

Tune in to Beckman’s Choir

On+Thursday%2C+April+27%2C+Beckman+High+School%27s+Choir+groups+hosted+their+last+concert+of+the+year.+
On Thursday, April 27, Beckman High School's Choir groups hosted their last concert of the year.

Photograph Courtesy of Sabrina Chen

Photograph Courtesy of Sabrina Chen

IRVINE – On Thursday, April 27, Beckman Choir held their final spring concert, Tune In: Radio Hits. Tickets were five dollars and began at 7:00 p.m. and ended at 8:30 p.m. All levels of choir were able to perform at the concert: the Mixed Choir, the Bel Canto, and the Madrigals.

The concert kicked off with the Madrigals and Mixed Choir performing “Hello Goodbye” by the Beatles. The main point of the concert was to showcase that “popular music can still be done by choirs and we don’t just do [chorale music],” explained sophomore Sabrina Chen. Many of the songs that were performed were popular songs heard on the radio in different eras of time or from different films.

Preparing for the concert was incredibly difficult, but all choirs performed well even after only a month of practicing. “We had practiced every day during class and tutorial,” stated junior Sheyla Miranda. All choirs had daily rehearsals and even had rehearsal right up until showtime.

Balancing, performing, and practicing for their events at Carnegie Hall and New York, the Bel Canto choir learned choreography to accompany the song “Diamonds are a Girl’s Best Friend” by Marilyn Monroe. Chen commented that it “definitely brought her a new perspective” because the routine challenged her to incorporate new elements into her performance.

In addition, the Madrigals had performed “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” by Marvin Gaye, “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Panic! at the Disco. “[Bohemian Rhapsody] is just a song I’ve listened to my entire life so singing it made choir a lot more fun.” explained freshman Tia de Sarker. The Mixed Choir had performed “Iko Iko” by the Belle Stars.

The most gripping moment of the entire concert was the lead up to the senior goodbyes. After all, “It was our last concert of the year and we used it to thank the seniors who have been with us all these years,” explained Chen.

“I cried, a lot. During rehearsal, it just hit me that it’s my last concert because I’ve been doing choir since forever,” said senior Erika Wohland. At the very end, all choirs came together to sing “In My Life” by the Beatles. It was a very emotional moment as it was time for a new generation of the Beckman choir to take the place of the old one. Many had cried but had held it in down to the very moment that they all went backstage.

“At first I wasn’t as hurt about it, but then when we sang our senior song and the seniors sang the melody and we sang with them, I started getting really teary eyed. This is the last chance I’m going to get to sing with them. To know that they’ve worked this hard to get us where we are and where we’ve been is such an honor to be with them,” commented Chen.

The concert ended with a congratulatory from the seniors and Mrs. Stuck. While the spring concert may be the end for this choir season, the show will go on. Even as the seniors graduate, their underclassmen will always be there to continue on their legacy.