Dino Dashing For Tustin Public Schools

Photo courtesy of Josh Barber

Photo courtesy of Josh Barber

Leena Shin, Staff Writer

TUSTIN – On Sunday morning, Nov. 5, the Tustin Public Schools Foundations held their 27th annual Dino Dash in which many individuals came together to run, walk and bike different races to raise money for the local public schools of the Tustin Unified School District (TUSD).

The Tustin Public Schools Foundations is a non-profit organization that holds a mission to mobilize the community and its resources to further excellence in Tustin Unified Schools. The organization holds the Dino Dash every year as its biggest fundraiser to support the public schools in TUSD.

The event started at 6:15 a.m. with the Race-Day Registration booth, located around El Camino and West St., bustling with racers. At the same time, the bike valet opened for the bike racers. Later at 6:45 a.m., the 5K, 15K, and the 50K bike tour began around the El Camino Real St. and the Auto Center Drive.

At 7 a.m., the Dino Dash Expo Area opened and the food court opened an hour later. The Expo area included a variety of games, food and activities. Many people came to eat different food from restaurants such as Corner Bakery Cafe and Islands with their families. Fifteen minutes later, the 10K Chip-Timed run began. At 8:30 a.m., the 5K Chip-Timed run kicked off and the non-timed 2K Fun Run began an hour later. The entire event ended at 10:30 a.m.

The Dino Dash this year was a success and more than 7,000 people attended the event to help raise about $200,000 in funds. “The Dino Dash was such a fun event,” said freshman Elaine Cha. “There were so many people and I think it’s a really great way to raise money for our schools. On top of that, it allows people to get a lot of exercise.”

Many people were thrilled to participate in the event and races due to the good cause Dino Dash would provide for Tustin public schools. “I think the Dino Dash is a smart and fun way to raise money for the school[s],” said sophomore Jordan Taketa. “It’s nice that the community works to support our school [and other schools.]”

Not only did students participate in the Dino Dash, but participants of every age were present at the event. Parents and families joined their students in fundraising. “[Dino Dash] is an impressively large fundraiser that supports the schools,” said Taketa’s mother, Dana Taketa. “I hope it helps improve the schools and the students’ educations.”

The Dino Dash will continue to take place every year to raise funds for the public schools around TUSD. The Tustin Public Schools Foundation hopes to continue to help the Tustin public schools in their journey of education and knowledge.