From Newspaper to Magazine: The Chronicle Changes Production

Back to Article
Back to Article

The journalism staff proudly poses with the new edition of the magazine.

Journalism Staff

Journalism Staff

Journalism Staff

IRVINE – On Thursday, Dec. 7, the Beckman Chronicle’s first magazine was released.  Throughout the first semester, Beckman High School’s journalism class crafted the school’s first edition of the magazine. This issue’s theme was “Nights & Lights,” which incorporated neon and fairy lights alongside contrasting colors. This theme was meant to signify the end of the first semester, the “night,” and the beginning of a new year, “the light.”

In previous years, the staff has published school newspapers. However this year, under the guidance of the new advisor, Mr. Tanara, the Editorial Staff, consisting of the section editors and editors-in-chief, decided to produce a magazine that would better suit the interests of the high school audience.

The Editorials Staff spent countless hours during class and outside of school pitching ideas and discussing content. They planned articles and content that would interest students, such as athletic scholarships and advice. Staff writers were also involved as they produced articles and contributed their opinions on the magazine.

The process of creating a magazine was different from creating a newspaper. “Magazines are a lot more layout-driven and visually-driven with photos,” said junior and Features Co-Editor, Ruby Choi. “It’s a lot different because a newspaper is just writing articles with some type of minimal layout and small picture, that’s it. But with magazines, you want to involve the student audience, and you want to do topics that are interesting.”

A magazine is different than a newspaper for a multitude of reasons. “It’s a lot more personal and there’s a lot more effort put into it because I think the newspaper already has a set format, but the magazine is a lot harder to come up with ideas because there’s so many different ways you can go,” said senior Victoria Choi, the Director of Innovation, Co-Editor-in-Chief and Digital Media Editor. “We thought that going to the magazine would be more appealing to a student audience.”

The class was excited for the release of their magazine. Staff writers were happy to see their own articles published in the magazine. “I was actually really surprised,” said sophomore Emma Trueba. “I knew that my article on the solar panels would be published but I didn’t realize my solar panel article and my Jessica Ark article would both be published.”

Students and teachers across campus were also amazed by the magazine. “I think the photography is high quality and it’s visually appealing,” said freshman Genevieve Gandara. This switch from newspapers to magazines also pleasantly surprised many sophomores, juniors and seniors who have been used to the quarterly release newspapers during their past years at Beckman.

The Beckman Chronicle staff were very satisfied with their first issue and are eager to publish more magazines in the future. The Editorials Staff is currently working on the second edition that will be released during the second semester.