The Gift that Never Stops Giving

Leo Club members participate in Santa Cop Toy Drive

Lena Yi, president of the Leo Club, took the toys that were collected to the Tustin Police Department to have them distribute the donations.  Here, she stands with one of the officers part of the department after bringing all the toys over with her vice president Sue Lee.

Lena Yi, president of the Leo Club, took the toys that were collected to the Tustin Police Department to have them distribute the donations. Here, she stands with one of the officers part of the department after bringing all the toys over with her vice president Sue Lee.

Nora Salem, Staff Writer

TUSTIN — The Leo Club at Beckman High School has recently taken part in the Santa Cop Toy Drive just in time for the holidays.  The Lions Club, the club compiled of adults that supervises the Leo Club, has been taking part of this drive for about ten years now.  However, this is the first year the Leo Club has directly been involved. Beginning the first day of November, the club members began collecting toys in a donation box located in a teacher’s classroom.  

“We aren’t the only ones in the community who took part in this toy drive,” explains Lena.  A member of the club since freshman year, Lena Yi is now the president of the Leo Club and is one of the people who takes part in the “behind-the-scenes” of this toy drive.  “Once the final collection date passed, my vice president and I took the toys to the Tustin Police Department so that they can distribute them.” They will then give the gifts out to children and families around the community who are underprivileged.

Once the drive is over, members of the club feel a strong sense of happiness after giving back to others around them.     

“I feel like this is a great opportunity to become involved with the community and make someone’s day special,” shares Sue Lee, vice president of the Leo Club.  Like Lena, she has also been part of this club for two years, and she has always felt a great connection to the community after giving back.

One person who notices all the hard work the Leo Club puts in is their club advisor, Mrs. Jenna Walter.  

“The toy drive has an incredible impact on the community,” explains Mrs. Walter. “Underprivileged children will receive toys and know that people are thinking of them this holiday season. In turn, those who donate to the toy drive are able to share their generosity with others and feel as though their efforts are making a positive change in their own community.”

According to her, there were about twenty toys delivered to the police station at the end of the drive.  Considering this was the first year the Leo Club has directly been involved in it, this is a great success.  

At the end of the day, this drive leaves a mark on everyone’s hearts, and its future is greatly anticipated.  

“Helping kids who aren’t as privileged makes me feel good because of how I am making their Christmas dreams come to life,” shares Lena.  “It is truly an engaging experience that I am happy to be a part of.”

There is still always room for improvement, though.  Next year, Lena and other Leo Club members hope to continue to be a part of the drive and give back to the community.  However, they are hoping for more advertisement to be placed around the campus so that more students know about it and actually take part in it.