The student news site of Arnold O. Beckman High School

The Beckman Chronicle

Filed under Sports

Christy Kelly Shoots for Success

Christy+Kelly+stands+out+as+an+amazing+leader+and+athlete%2C+and+her+achievements+in+soccer+are+admirable+to+all.+
Christy Kelly stands out as an amazing leader and athlete, and her achievements in soccer are admirable to all.

Photograph Courtesy of Christy Kelly

Photograph Courtesy of Christy Kelly

Senior Christy Kelly has been in love with soccer ever since she was four years old. Having played varsity soccer at Beckman since freshman year and having been involved in club soccer outside of school since she was nine, Kelly has become an exceptional player. With her experience, she hopes to continue to play soccer at college, her dream school being the University of Illinois.

Kelly not only stands out with her talent for soccer, but her attitude and leadership is outstanding as well. Her ability to lead was especially observed by her coaches and teammates this year, as she was co-captain of the Beckman Varsity Girls Soccer team alongside Senior Kimia Mostafavi. She states, “It’s important for everyone on the field to be leaders. As a captain, I looked out for the best interest of my teammates and what was best for the team as a whole.” This year, Kelly also received the “Athlete of Character” award at the Anaheim Convention Center, where athletic directors around Orange County honored athletes they believed showed the most character.

After so many years of devoting her life to soccer, Kelly is not ready to leave it behind when she goes to college. She hopes to get onto the soccer team of the University of Illinois in the coming spring. Kelly expressed, “I was injured all of my junior year, so I didn’t get the exposure I could have, but I’m very excited; the Illinois coach is giving me a chance to walk on.” Despite her painful injuries and setbacks, she overcame them with confidence and continues to pursue her goals to play in college and in the near future.

Kelly has been extremely successful throughout her experience in high school soccer. Making varsity freshman year and playing a huge role on the team ever since, she stands out in the sea of athletes at Beckman. She has also earned many awards due to her consistency and great performances as a defender, such as the Most Valuable Defender award and the Second Team All-League award. Kelly voices out, “I think I’m most proud of my team and the way we have played together these past four years. I’m proud of the person I have become. If I hadn’t played soccer, I wouldn’t have the leadership skills or be the person I am today. I’m also proud of the way I can help bring people together for a common goal.”

Christy Kelly, a well-rounded person and a talented soccer player, enjoys helping out her teammates and being there for them. She is an exceptional leader and role model for her teammates and tries her best to push everyone to reach their best potential at practices and games. Through soccer, she has grown up to be the person she is today: independent, confident, experienced, and strong. Kelly’s incredible character and great potential in soccer is bound to bring her success in the near future and beyond.