CIF Loss Ends Beckman Boys Water Polo Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomore Elijah Clark is looking for goal as he shoots during his
water polo game.​

Sophomore Elijah Clark is looking for goal as he shoots during his water polo game.​

Photo courtesy of Elijah Clark

Photo courtesy of Elijah Clark

Photo courtesy of Elijah Clark

Clarissa Hernandez, Staff Writer

BURBANK – On Tuesday Oct. 31, Beckman Varsity Boys Water Polo traveled to Burroughs High School for their first round of the Division 3 California Interscholastic Foundation (CIF) playoff games. Despite the game happening on Halloween, there were no sweet victory treats. Beckman was down 5-10 in the third period but were able to come back to tie the score at 10-10 and 11-11. The nail biting game ended in the fourth period when the Burroughs scored the game winning goal, which ended the Patriots’ season. The game ended in a close loss of 11-12, and the Patriots ended with a 17-13 overall record, finishing third place in the Pacific Coast League.

The Beckman’s Water Polo team faced adversity playing away at a school with a smaller pool than they were used to playing in. “We’re used to a long course [25 meters] while the opponent’s pool was a short course [25 yards],” said sophomore utility player Elijah Clark.

In addition, the Patriots were put at a disadvantage as the Burroughs were “in a good fighting mood and [were] looking to defend their CIF title,” as stated by senior attacker Travis Spann.

The Beckman team was able to reflect on the game and develop strategies for next season despite the devastating loss. “A lesson we can learn as a team from this game is to not play for the foul,” said Clark. “The refs aren’t always fair and we can start to play without the call.” The Patriots believe that the game helped the team develop as they embark in their future endeavours. “One lesson I have learned was to just stay calm and to have faith in your teammates,” said sophomore Andrew “AJ” Marsh.

Overall, the team had a successful season and created memories that they will always remember when they look back on their high school career. “My favorite memory was the after game parties in the team room,” said sophomore AJ Marsh. While there is fun and games, the boys are hard at work to use what they learned “to prepare for next season […] and are already back in the pool,” said sophomore Elijah Clark.

Some of the water polo players, such as senior Travis Spann, are preparing for swim season. “I’m focusing on what swim season brings and then college sports,” said Spann.

The water polo team did phenomenal this season and worked hard to make it to CIF. Good luck to the team as they prepare for next season.