Girls Volleyball Gives CIF Playoffs All

Back to Article
Back to Article

Girls Volleyball Gives CIF Playoffs All

Varsity Girls Volleyball performs excellently in league, but falls short in the first round of CIF-SS.

Photograph courtesy of Lisa Schroeder

Photograph courtesy of Lisa Schroeder

Photograph courtesy of Lisa Schroeder

Allison Perez, Staff Writer

RANCHO SANTA MARGARITA – On Tuesday, Oct. 31st, Varsity Girls Volleyball lost 0-3 against Santa Margarita Catholic High School in the 2017-18 California Interscholastic Federation Southern Section (CIF-SS) playoffs.

Beckman finished second in the 2017-18 Pacific Coast League season with a final record of 8-2. The team experienced a rough start in the season when they lost to the Corona del Mar (CDM) Sea Kings 1-3 but soon made it up with a chain of wins that was only broken by another defeat from CDM. In spite of the losses to CDM, the Patriots were still able to compete in the CIF playoffs at the Division I level.  

Beckman lost the first set 23-25. Unlike the start of league, the Patriots experienced a stronger beginning in their first game against Santa Margarita. “[Head Varsity Girls Volleyball Coach Darin McBain] told us to key on this one [left hitter] on their team, and the first point we got was blocking her,” said senior Jill Schneggenburger. This block pushed Beckman into the lead. However, their victory was short-lived: Santa Margarita soon took back the lead, leaving Beckman behind at 4-6. The team pushed on regardless, utilizing their skills to successfully execute several point-scoring plays. Schneggenburger and sophomore outside hitter Haley Schroeder both scored points for Beckman. The second set was also won by Santa Margarita at 25-18. This set proved to be more difficult as the Santa Margarita Eagles wasted no time in claiming a strong lead.

“We have a lot of talent and we will continue to get stronger offensively, but our blocking and defense must improve,” said Coach McBain. “We must also get stronger mentally if we want to compete at this extremely competitive Division I level.” The girls have much to work on before the next CIF playoffs, though they have undeniably improved since the year before. Last year, the team had made it to CIF, but they competed in the lower Division II level.

Beckman lost the third and final set of the game 17-25.  “Of course, it is sad that we lost in the first round of CIF, but as a team I think we all played well against a tough opponent,” said Schroeder. Santa Margarita proved the Patriot’s statement true in that game, and the Eagles finished CIF as fourth in Division I.

Although their time in CIF-SS was stopped short, Beckman had an amazing league season. They will be hosting a fundraiser with the clothing brand Stussy on Saturday, Nov. 11th in the Beckman front parking lot.