Varsity Boys Water Polo Gains an Epic Win During Senior Game Against Northwood

Back to Article
Back to Article

The boys' performance against Northwood makes them an even bigger candidate for CIF playoffs.

Photo courtesy of Dyana Boone

Photo courtesy of Dyana Boone

Photo courtesy of Dyana Boone

Allison Perez, Staff Writer

TUSTIN – On Thursday, Oct. 19th, Varsity Boys’ Water Polo narrowly defeated Northwood High School. After experiencing discouraging losses to Corona Del Mar and Woodbridge High School earlier in the week, Beckman won 9–8 on Senior Day, a day dedicated to honoring senior athletes for their achievements and efforts. This increased their chances of making the shortlist for the 2017-18 California Interscholastic Federation Southern Section (CIF-SS) Playoffs.

Before this game, the team had a win–loss ratio of 2–4 in their league. The boys opened the season with a rocky start, losing 9–11 to the Woodbridge Warriors. Following that loss was another to Northwood, making this recent win even more exhilarating for both the team and spectators.

The start of the game was a tough one. With the Northwood Timberwolves clinging to a far lead, both teams fought fiercely for possession of the ball, and many turnovers occurred. “I think we came off from a really slow start,” said senior two-meter defender Travis Ruoff. “Most of our games we come off from slow starts and that bites us later on in our game.” While most of the team’s games suffer from sluggish beginnings, this game had the opposite effect. The Patriots’ drive to win increased, and the boys began to score. Senior Aviv Zohman was able to sink two consecutive goals, shortening the score difference to 5-8, but Beckman still trailed behind Northwood. Senior Chase Himler also made contributions, scoring a point at 2 minutes and 6 seconds and another with 17 seconds to spare.

As time started running out and the score remained at 7-8 in the fourth quarter, the anticipation and pace of the game increased tenfold. “We’re not going to quit; we’re not going to give up,” stated senior Chase Himler. “Even in the fourth quarter, we’re not tired. We’re still coming back and giving it all we’ve got.” The team made great efforts to succeed and did not let the intensity of the game get the better of them. With an assist from Himler, Ruoff managed to shoot the ball into the Northwood goal with zero seconds left, equalizing the score and pushing it into the first overtime period.

Both teams were relentless in the first overtime period. It was a stalemate: Northwood made many attempts to score, and Beckman’s defense matched their pace. Senior goalie Matthew “Matt” Tran had a total of 8 saves and 11 steals at the end of the game. Most of his saves were made in that overtime period. The exceptional competition between both teams did not give either team any room to score during the overtime period, forcing the game into a second overtime.

While the first overtime period was intense, the second was even more so. The stakes were even higher with the score still stuck at a tie. A turnover occurred after a risky pass on Northwood’s part; the same nearly happened to the Patriots, but the team did not let it deter them. “The boys did a great job [of] not giving up and [fighting] till the last whistle,” said head Boys’ Water Polo Coach Duje Grubisic. “Our conditioning and the hype of Senior Day gave the guys an extra push and they managed to get a necessary [win.]” The boys made exceptional use of their practiced skills: a quick retrieval of the ball by Zohman led to sophomore AJ Marsh scoring the winning goal with 1 minute and 45 seconds left on the clock.  

Overall, the win was an exciting one for the team, whose members were thrilled to continue onto CIF-SS Playoffs. The team will continue to fight hard in the first round of the CIF-SS season against John Burroughs High School on Oct. 31st.